Until the building of Hertford Street in 1812/13, this lane was the main entrance into the city from the south west. All visitors of importance, including armies too, would have travelled up the cobbled street past the beautiful Ford's Hospital on their way into the city.
Comparing these two photo's also shows what a magnificent job was done in 1953 when much of the building was restored following its partial destruction during one of the air raids. More pictures and information about this are on the Historic Tour pages. The window in the south wall was obviously added post-war but has been carefully crafted to fit in well with the original style.